What happens if I cancel my current phone service before my phone number has been ported to Truespeed?

To port your telephone number from your current provider to Truespeed, your existing telephone service must still be live. If it’s been cancelled or ‘ceased’ we can’t port your existing phone number over to us.

So make sure you keep your phone line active and fill out a Phone Number Porting Authorisation (PNPA) form.  Send it to us and we’ll do the rest.